Innovation Clinic About
The IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic is a needs-based innovation-to-market intellectual property (IP) legal clinic operated in collaboration with Innovation York and supervising law firms Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP and Bereskin & Parr LLP. The Clinic is staffed by student volunteers (called “Clinic Fellows”) from Osgoode Hall Law School who are supervised by lawyers from Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP and Bereskin & Parr LLP.
Under the guidance and mentorship of the supervising lawyers, Innovation Clinic Fellows provide one-to-one legal information services to inventors, entrepreneurs, and start-up companies to assist with the innovation and commercialization processes. Through this hands-on practical experience, Innovation Clinic Fellows learn about common early-stage IP and business issues facing actors in the innovation ecosystem.
Professor Giuseppina D’Agostino, IP Osgoode’s Director and founder of the Innovation Clinic, recently collaborated with the Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI), an independent non-partisan think tank based in Waterloo, Ontario. Prof. D’Agostino and her research team worked with CIGI’s International Law Research Program and completed a research report evaluating the Innovation Clinic model. The completed Innovation Clinic Report is forthcoming.
The Innovation Clinic’s mandate is two-fold:
- Ignite an Innovative Economy – Offset prohibitive costs of IP legal assistance by providing pro bono, one-on-one legal information services to inventors, entrepreneurs, start-ups, and SMEs.
- Educate and Empower Students – Prepare law students for the professional world by providing the opportunity to gain hands-on, practical experience while learning about some of the common early stage IP and business-related issues under the supervision of practicing lawyers.
The Innovation Clinic has a dual client-student mandate, which addresses the IP literacy shortcomings in Canada for law students as well as inventors and entrepreneurs.
The Innovation Clinic serves a diverse range of innovators across various industries and welcomes clients from across Southern Ontario from within and outside the York University community.
Our clients are individuals or start-up companies who do not have the resources to hire a lawyer, patent agent, or other advisors. Obtaining just one patent in Canada can cost $20,000 or more from filing to final registration. These costs can become prohibitive for innovators, especially when you add the costs of additional patent applications, patent maintenance, incorporation, non-disclosure agreements, employment agreements, licensing agreements, and other legal structures. We assist clients with reducing some of these costs, helping them take their innovations into the marketplace.
Become an Innovation Clinic client here
Innovation Clinic Services
The Innovation Clinic operates year-round and offers various forms IP and commercialization assistance. Our team creates tailored work plans for each client based on their needs and stage of business development. During the consultation intake call, the supervising lawyer and Innovation Clinic Fellow will work with the client to determine an agreed upon work plan.
The Innovation Clinic services may include IP, preliminary freedom-to-operate, and clearance search work within the jurisdiction of Ontario in the following areas:
- Reviewing basic issues in business transactions involving intellectual property,
- Patent searches and prior art searches,
- Trade-mark searches,
- Agreement review (Internal, Contractor, License, etc.),
- Application drafting and/or review,
- Other tasks as assigned and supervised by the supervising lawyer.
The work of our Innovation Clinic Fellows is pro bono aside from a $50 administrative fee.
Note: IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic Staff and Fellows do not provide legal advice. Innovation Clinic Fellows work under the supervision of practicing lawyers to provide IP information to our clients. The IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic operates in accordance with the relevant rules and regulations of the Law Society of Ontario.
The IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic partners with Innovation York to provide clients affiliated with York University (i.e. faculty, students and staff) with access to the services offered by Innovation York.
Innovation York is the technology commercialization and industry liaison unit within the Office of Vice President, Research & Innovation at York University. Innovation York provides a full suite of industry liaison and commercialization services to York researchers and trainees seeking to find an industry partner, commercialize a technology, or create a start-up company. In addition, Innovation York works with companies to assist them in finding academic or industry partners, creating and facilitating innovative research collaborations.
Innovation Clinic clients who are affiliated with York University will also have access to the following services offered by Innovation York:
- Creation & support of partnerships between industry & academic researchers to develop innovative research projects & enable industry to access York’s research expertise.
- Access to students and postdoctoral researchers seeking internships & work experience.
- Access to facilities and sources of funding to develop proof of concepts or prototypes.
- Strategic intellectual property protection and management leveraged by strong relationships with external commercialization organizations and intellectual property firms.
- Partnership with MaRS Innovation, Toronto’s lead commercialization centre that is dedicated to creating business opportunities from the exceptional research & discovery pipeline of sixteen prominent academic institutions in Ontario.
- Partnership with VentureLab, York Region’s Regional Innovation Centre dedicated to providing business acceleration services to companies and entrepreneurs.
- Technology due diligence and market research expertise, including access to market research data from leading analyst organizations.
The BEST Lab:
The Bergeron Entrepreneurs in Science & Technology (BEST) Lab may be able to provide support to the Innovation Clinic clients with product development and prototyping. Select Innovation Clinic clients may be eligible for assistance through our collaboration with the BEST Lab at the Lassonde School of Engineering.
- Giuseppina D’Agostino, Founder and Director, IP Osgoode & Innovation Clinic
- Michelle Li, Innovation Clinic Supervisor & Assistant Director, IP Osgoode
- Joseph Turcotte, Innovation Clinic Coordinator
Osgoode Hall Law School students volunteer their time as Innovation Clinic Fellows. To read the profiles of our current Innovation Clinic Fellows, click here.
Become an Innovation Clinic Fellow here
If you would like more information about the Clinic or are interested in engaging the services of the Clinic, please contact us here.
For all other inquiries, we can be reached here:
IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic
Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3
Tel: (416) 650-8449
Fax: (416) 736-5736