The IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic, the first student-based clinic of its kind in Canada, is seeking law students from Osgoode Hall Law School to provide assistance to under-resourced inventors, entrepreneurs and start-up companies with their innovation and commercialization activities.
Positions Available: Innovation Clinic Fellows (5-10 positions)
It is expected that the majority of the work done by students will relate to patent law. The remaining time would be spent working on other IP-related and start-up business related needs as they arise. The students’ work will be supervised by lawyers from Norton Rose Fulbright LLP and Bereskin & Parr LLP and may include:
- Reviewing business transactions involving IP
- Assisting with various steps in the patent prosecution process (i.e.: conducting prior art searches, reviewing patent specifications, etc.)
- Performing freedom-to-operate and clearance searches
- Performing trademark searches
- Reviewing IP Agreements and licensing assistance
- Conducting legal research
Term: September 2020 – April 2021, with a possibility to continue on for the 2021 summer term.
Note: Please note the position is a part-time volunteer position. Students may claim OPIR hours for work done at the Innovation Clinic.
- an interest in IP law, technology and commercialization issues
- responsiveness and a commitment to client service
- attention to detail and ability to write clearly and concisely
- excellent time-management, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- you must be a 1L, 2L or 3L student at Osgoode Hall Law School
- completion of the Legal Values: IP Commercialization Seminar course is not required but would be considered an asset
- completion of the Intellectual Property or Patents course is not required but would be considered an asset
Deadline: Friday, September 4, 2020
Please provide the following materials via email to email@example.com:
- One page cover letter (briefly outlining your interests in IP law)
- Copy of your resume and unofficial grades
- A sample of your written work (max. 750 words)
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.