IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic
The IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic is a needs-based innovation-to-market legal clinic operated in collaboration with Innovation York and Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP. The Clinic is staffed by student volunteers from Osgoode Hall Law School who are supervised by lawyers from Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP.
Innovation York is the technology commercialization and industry liaison unit within the Office of Vice President, Research & Innovation at York University. Innovation York provides a full suite of industry liaison and commercialization services to York researchers and trainees who wish to find an industry partner, commercialize a technology, or create a start-up company. In addition, they work with companies in order to assist them in finding academic partners and create and facilitate innovative research collaborations.
Through IP Osgoode’s partnership with Innovation York, Innovation Clinic clients who are affiliated with York University (i.e. faculty, students and staff) will also have access to the services offered by Innovation York.
The Clinic serves a diverse range of innovators. Our clients are individuals or start-up companies who do not have the resources to hire a lawyer, patent agent, or other advisors. Obtaining just one patent in Canada can cost $20,000 or more from filing to final registration. Add to that the costs of additional patent applications, patent maintenance, incorporation, non-disclosure agreements, employment agreements, licensing agreements, and other legal structures, and the costs soon become prohibitive for innovators. We assist clients with reducing some of these costs, to help them take their innovations into the marketplace.
The Clinic currently offers intellectual property work within the jurisdiction of Ontario in the following four areas:
(i) reviewing basic issues in business transactions involving intellectual property,
(ii) assisting with various steps early in the patent prosecution process (conducting basic prior art searches, reviewing basic provisional patent specifications),
(iii) performing basic freedom-to-operate and clearance searches, and
(iv) assisting with various steps early in the trademark prosecution process.
Innovation York Services:
Innovation Clinic clients who are affiliated with York University will also have access to the following services offered by Innovation York:
- Creation & support of partnerships between industry & academic researchers to develop innovative research projects & enable industry to access York’s research expertise.
- Access to students and postdoctoral researchers seeking internships & work experience.
- Access to facilities and sources of funding to develop proof of concepts or prototypes.
- Strategic intellectual property protection and management leveraged by strong relationships with external commercialization organizations and intellectual property firms.
- Partnership with MaRS Innovation, Toronto’s lead commercialization centre that is dedicated to creating business opportunities from the exceptional research & discovery pipeline of sixteen prominent academic institutions in Ontario.
- Partnership with VentureLab, York Region’s Regional Innovation Centre dedicated to providing business acceleration services to companies and entrepreneurs.
- Technology due diligence and market research expertise, including access to market research data from leading analyst organizations.
Innovation Clinic Fellows:
To read the profiles of our Innovation Clinic staff, click here.
If you would like more information about the Clinic or are interested in engaging the services of the Clinic, please contact us.
|IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic
Osgoode Hall Law School, York University
4700 Keele Street, Toronto, ON M3J 1P3Email: email@example.com
Tel: (416) 650-8449
Fax: (416) 736-5736
The IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic is operated in collaboration with:
The IP Osgoode Innovation Clinic was launched in 2011 in collaboration with the Ontario Centres of Excellence and Torys LLP.